The Recreational Trails Program (RTP)

What is the Recreational Trails Program?

The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) provides funds to the States to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both non-motorized and motorized recreational trail uses. Examples of trail uses include hiking, bicycling, in-line skating, equestrian use, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, off-road motorcycling, all-terrain vehicle riding, four-wheel driving, or using other off-road motorized vehicles.


Who administers the program?

The RTP is an assistance program of the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). Each State administers its own program, usually through a State resource or park agency. Each State develops its own procedures to solicit and select projects for funding. Each State has a State Recreational Trail Advisory Committee to assist with the program. In some States, the committee selects the projects, in others, the committee is advisory only. See the State contact list.


How much money is available?

OHM rider

Congress authorized the RTP for $60 million in 2005, $70 million in 2006, $75 million in 2007, $80 million in 2008, and $85 million 2009. FHWA may use up to $840,000 annually for program administration and trail related research, technical assistance, and training.


The remainder of the funds are distributed to the States. Half of the funds are distributed equally among all States, and the other half are distributed in proportion to the estimated amount of off-road recreational fuel use in each State: fuel used for off-road recreation by snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, off-road motorcycles, and off-road light trucks. Please visit the FHWA's website for funding levels for current and previous years. You are also able to see how much each State received.


To find the Recreational Trails Program contact person for your state, visit our Partner Contact page.


For more detailed information on the RTP, access the RTP Page on the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) web site.